MU logo University of Missouri sitemap | map | parking | directions | contact the museum
Home | Events | Museum Info | Calendar | Education | Exhibitions | Collections | Support
Home | Exhibitions | Online | Memorial Union | The History of Memorial Tower

Memorial Union Memorial Union: The Transcendent Tower

The History of Memorial Tower

The seeds for a student union were planted on MU’s campus in 1915. The following year, university alumni approved construction and hired the architectural firm Jamieson & Spearl to design an English Gothic union. Missouri Union was to provide all alumni a home in Columbia and give students a common gathering place. At this time, Mizzou already had over 100 social and academic clubs, honorary and social fraternities and sororities, and professional organizations. The U. S. entry into the First World War delayed construction, but it resumed in the early 1920s, now as a memorial monument to honor students who died in the war. Completed in 1926, the bell tower was the first phase of construction. The Great Depression and legal entanglements halted construction on the remainder of the union. The north wing, A. P. Green Chapel, and south wing were not finished until 1952, 1959, and 1963, respectively.

Tower construction, 6/15/1925 (Courtesy of University Archives, C:0/47/12)

Tower construction, 6/15/1925

Tower construction, 1/14/1926 (Courtesy of University Archives, C:0/47/12)Tower construction, 1/14/1926

 

Memorial Union Exhibition

Exhibition Home

History of Memorial Tower

Making the Memorial

In Memoriam

Signs, Symbols, and Seals: The Sculpture of Memorial Tower

Figured in Stone: The Arcade Sculptures of Memorial Tower

Tradition: Tipping the Cap

 

© 2014 — Curators of the University of Missouri. All rights reserved. DMCA and other copyright information. An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.

Museum of Art and Archaeology | College of Arts and Science | University of Missouri
1 Pickard Hall | Columbia, MO 65211-1420 | phone: 573-882-3591 | fax: 573-884-4039 | Email the museum
AAM logoaccredited by the American Association of Museums

Attention:
The Museum is currently closed and moving to Mizzou North. Please continue to check our website for updates and the openings of galleries.