Students at the University of Missouri are just a few minutes away from the Museum of Art and Archaeology, one of the most important academic art museums in the Midwest. The Museum is also the third largest visual arts museum in Missouri, just after the Saint Louis Art Museum and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. The Museum’s holdings include an extensive collection of ancient Greek and Roman artworks and artifacts, as well as paintings, sculptures, and works on paper from the medieval period through today. It also houses an important study collection of plaster casts, exact replicas of famous ancient Greek and Roman sculptures. From ancient art to modern creations, there's something for everyone at the Museum of Art and Archaeology.
Museum Advisory Council of Students (MACS) is a recognized MU student organization. Our aim is to support and foster the educational mission of the Museum of Art and Archaeology. MACS encourages membership from students who have an interest in art, a willingness to learn, a desire to serve, and time to volunteer. Students from any academic discipline can join, and no previous art knowledge is required.
The benefits of joining MACS include getting to know and work with others who are passionate about art and culture, enrichment and professional development in the arts and museum studies, opportunities to take part in the Museum's university and community outreach programs, organizing an annual juried exhibition of student art, and being part of an organization that advocates for the arts and culture in Columbia, Missouri, and beyond.. Participation in an extracurricular club looks great on a résumé or CV, and MACS is a great way to meet other students and enrich your experience at Mizzou.
The mission of MACS is to raise awareness among students of MU of the art resources, exhibitions, and public programs available at the Museum of Art and Archaeology.
Applicants and Members must meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled at the University of Missouri or another institution of higher learning
- Regularly attend MACS meetings and events
- Be willing to serve on the council for a minimum of one academic year (September – May)
- Participate in the annual juried student art exhibition, Art After Dark
MACS Officers 2017-2018
ART AFTER DARK 2018
MACS organizes an annual juried student art exhibition at the Museum of Art and Archaeology, usually in early April.
Thursday, April 5, 2018, 7-9pm @ the Museum of Art and Archaeology, Mizzou North, 115 Business Loop 70 West, Columbia, MO
See the CALL FOR ART!
2018 Art Submission Instructions
- Complete and sign the Submission Form and the Display Agreement (please read these carefully before signing!)
- Email your submission to MUMACSORG@gmail.com with the subject line "Submission: (your last name)" and the following as attachments:
1) Completed and signed Submission Form;
2) Completed and signed Display Agreement; and
3) An image of your work (Jpeg, minimum 300 dpi); this image may be used for promotional materials such as the show postcard/poster.
- Multiple submissions from one artist are accepted. Please send each submission as a separate email.
- All mediums are accepted! Restrictions on artwork size: no larger than about 50 inches square and weighing no more than about 25 pounds. Video art is welcome, but only three videos can be accepted.
- DEADLINE March 22, 2018.